CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Kissing Ball

I love to bring nature into my home as much as I can around the holidays.  You'd be surprised at how many things still exist when it's freezing, that make lovely additions to your home.  I currently have 2 kissing balls, but both are artificial.  One is a ball of mistletoe and the other is a ball of poinsettias.  But, I was really looking for one made with natural materials.

I saw this boxwood kissing ball on the Pottery Barn website, but unfortunately it was also artificial and $50!  Then, I had an idea!  We have some boxwoods by our front porch, that I'm sure wouldn't mind having a winter trim.  So, I headed outside, snipped some branches, brought them inside and put them in a bowl of water.


I used a small styrofoam ball as my base. 


I trimmed the boxwood branches so I had short, 2-3 inch long pieces to stick into the styrofoam ball.  I started adding them randomly to the top, bottom and sides, then continued to fill in the spaces.


You could hang the kissing ball or sit it in a decorative bowl or vase.


I just finished it today, so I can't tell you how long it will last for, but I'll be sure to come back and let you know how it's doing after Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment